What is Maccha?
Maccha is green tea that has been shade-grown, de-veined, de-stemmed and painstakingly stone-ground into a fine powder. You consume the whole leaf, healthier and concentrated.
To qualify as green tea, the tea must be mechanically processed within a day of harvest. This freezing of the enzymes prevents the tea from “withering” (also translated as “purposeful oxidation” or inaccurately as “fermentation”) and arguably keeps it closest to the vegetal state of all the teas made from the camellia sinensis tree. In countries like Japan, this is commonly done by steaming the fresh-picked leaves. In China, the leaves are commonly parched. However, the effect of mechanically freezing the enzymes can also be achieved via alternate methods, such as baking, roasting, etc. It is then massaged to shape and dried.
What are the health benefits of Maccha?
- Catechins and polyphenols help to prevent cancer.
- Chacko, S.M., Thambi, P.T., Kuttan, R., Nishigaki, I. “Beneficial effects of green tea: A literature review”. Chin Med. April 6, 2010. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2855614/#B2.
- Chlorophyll gives you energy by dissipating guanadine.
- Kochman, J., Jakubczyk, K., Antoniewicz, J., Mruk, H., Janda, K. “Health Benefits and Chemical Composition of Matcha Green Tea: A Review”. Molecules 26(1), January 2021. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7796401/.
- Antioxidants rid the body of free radicals.
- Jakubczyk, K., Kochman, J., Kwiatowska, A., Kaldunska, J., Dec, K., Kawczuga, D., Janda, K. “Antioxidant Properties and Nutritional Composition of Matcha Green Tea”. Foods 9(4). April 2020. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7231151/.
- L-Theanine helps counteract the negative effects of caffeine and encourage mental clarity.
- Kelly, S.P., Gomez-Ramirez, M., Montesi, J.L., Foxe, J.J. “L-Theanine and Caffiene in Combination Affect Human Cognition as Evidenced by Oscillatory alpha-Band Activity and Attention Task Performance”. The Journal of Nutrition 138(8). August 2008. http://jn.nutrition.org/content/138/8/1572S.long.
- Flavonoids may reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Hodgson, J.M., Croft, K.D. “Tea flavonoids and cardiovascular health”. Molecular Aspects of Medicine 31(6). December 2010. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20837049.
- Vitamins A, C, E, Proteins, and Beta-Carotene
- Hamilton-Miller. “Anti-microbial properties of tea”. Department of Medical Microbiology, Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine, London, UK. Antimicrobe Agents Chemother. 1995 November; 39(11): 2375–2377.
More health benefits of Maccha
- Helps you lose body fat without speeding up your heart
- Treats arthritis and helps prevent heart disease
- Balances blood pressure and reduces cholesterol
- Is good for the skin
What is healthful Maccha?
Fresh, technical (higher grade) maccha is:
- Sweeter (containing more amino acids)
- Smoother in texture
- More visibly vibrant
- More aromatic
- Richer mouthfeel
Oxidised, old (lower grade) maccha is:
- Bitter (containing more tannin)
- Coarser in texture
- More earthy coloured
- Dryer in the mouth
- Thinner bodied